KCRG A-List Results
- 2014 Best Grocery nominated
- 2014 Best Wine 3rd Place
- 2013 Best Winery 3rd Place
- 2013 Best Gourmet Grocery nominated
- 2013 Best Beer Selection 3rd Place
- 2012 Best Winery 5th Place
- 2012 Best Gourmet Grocery nominated
- 2012 Best Beer Selection 2nd Place
- 2011 Best Gourmet Grocery 3rd Place
- 2011 Best Winery 5th Place
- 2011 Best Beer Selection 1st Place
- 2010 Best Gourmet Grocery 2nd Place
- 2008 Best Gourmet Grocery 2nd Place
Map & Directions
About this Place
John's Grocery Inc. is a marriage of the traditional corner grocery store and epicurean oasis. The building John's Grocery is located in was built in 1848 to serve as a small dry goods store in the then five year-old frontier town of Iowa City.
The tradition of a family-run corner grocery store is alive and well thanks to John and Erma Alberhasky who purchased the establishment in 1948. With the help of their seven children and countless grandchildren John and Erma turned a fledgling business into an Iowa City icon.
John's Grocery's concentration is no-longer centered on dry-goods, but rather gourmet beer, wine, unique foods and impeccable customer service. The combination of personal service, a selection of over 450 beers from around the world, and 1,500 wines makes John's one of top places to shop for beer and wine between Denver and Chicago.
One of the biggest draws for customers is the feel of a traditional corner market. The store is large enough to serve the community, but small enough to know many customers by name. In 1933, during the depths of the Great Depression, Iowa City had 41 family-owned grocery stores. Today, John's Grocery is the only one remaining.
Our commitment to educate the customer on the diversity, history, and benefits of imported and microbrewed beer prompted John's to open a virtual storefront at www.johnsgrocery.com to help educate connoisseurs of fine beer. Since its inception in the summer of 1997, the John's Grocery website has become one of the Internet's best site to find information about beer.
Our store's 150 years of history is quite impressing and we love to share it with every curious customer. From the curved ceilings of our "cave," to the thousands of cases of beer in our basement, John's is packed with many treasures.
- ICON 39: League of Extraordinary Gentlefen »
- Tom & Rosie »
- Steve Bobbit as Rod Stewart »
- Danika Holmes »
- Mirage: Jean Luc Ponty Project Halloween Event »
- Eric Paslay »
- Codfish Hollow-een PART TWO Featuring Har Mar Superstar, The Pizza Underground ( with Macaulay Culkin) and The Candy Boys LIVE in the Codfish Hollow Barn »
- Swing Crew! »
- Silver Wings »
- 'Orrendous! Halloween Party »
- Nathan Miller & Unstoppable Co. »
- Past Masters »
- Halloween Bash w/ Sound Daze »
- Halloween Party and Live Music »
- Crankshaft »
- ViceBox »
- Electric Mule »
- Pork Tornadoes »
- Lipstick Slick »